CHICAGO (WLS) -- A report from the American Academy of Pediatrics calls attention to the problem of children accidentally overdosing on medicine. It also urges using the metric system as a solution.
Each year, more than 70,000 children visit the emergency room because of accidental overdose.
Experts said one major reason is that liquid medication is prescribed in teaspoons. That's not often accurate, because kitchen teaspoons hold more than an actual teaspoon and some people don't know the difference between tablespoon and teaspoon.
The academy asks pharmacists and doctors to use milliliters when measuring out doses for children.
AAP urges metric dosing for children's medicine to prevent accidental overdose
More TOP STORIES News