Activist asks IPRA to re-investigate 2012 police shooting

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago activist William Calloway is calling on the Independent Police Review Authority to launch a second investigation into the 2012 fatal police-involved shooting of 23-year-old Jamaal Moore. Moore was unarmed when he was shot by an officer on Chicago's South Side.

The officer in question remains with the Chicago Police Department.

Dashcam video of the shooting was made public Tuesday by Calloway, who obtained the footage through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The shooting took place in December 2012. In the video, police are on the tail of a Chevy Trailblazer believed to have been used in a robbery. Moore is one of the men in the vehicle. When the SUV crashes the suspects run, but Moore doesn't get far before he is hit by the police cruiser.

The video shows officers are on him in seconds and he appears to be subdued, but then there is a struggle and Moore manages to flip an officer off of him.

As he ran, the officer's female partner opened fire. Moore was shot in the back and died at the scene.

"He was unarmed, and he was running away. So, therefore, there were no grounds for that Chicago police officer to discharge her weapon," Calloway said.

After the shooting, the female officer said she thought Moore was armed. In fact there had been a radio call warning of armed suspects, but only a flashlight was recovered at the scene.
"The community is calling and demanding that this officer who was involved with this shooting be stripped and relieved of her police powers immediately," said Calloway.

An IPRA investigation cleared the officer of wrongdoing, but the organization said it would review video and materials in the cast to determine whether a second investigation is warranted.

"I am really, really appreciative that they are taking the time to take another look at the case because we know that it wasn't handled correctly," said Gwendolyn Moore, Jamaal's mother.

"It's pretty hard for a parent or relative to see their child gunned down like an animal in the street. He was running away and shot and murdered," Moore said.

After the shooting, the city approved a $1.25 million settlement with Moore's family, but his mother said the money means nothing.

"We know that there was a lot of cover-up that took place in the case, and my main concern is to find out the truth. That's all I've been wanting to find out: the truth," she said.

A Chicago Police Department spokesman said that the matter is in IPRA's jurisdiction and the officer was placed on duty after IPRA initially found the shooting to be justified.

The Fraternal Order of Police has not responded to ABC7 Eyewitness News's requests for comment.
Copyright © 2020 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.