Ogilvie station evacuated, given all-clear after suspicious package halts trains

Monday's investigation could impact service on Tuesday morning, Metra warns

ByEric Horng and ABC7 Chicago Digital Team WLS logo
Tuesday, March 8, 2022
Ogilvie train station evacuated due to suspicious package
Ogilvie Transportation Center has been evacuated and Metra trains halted as police investigate a suspicious package in the train station.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Ogilvie Transportation Center was given the all-clear by Chicago police after a suspicious package prompted the evacuation of the downtown Chicago train station.

Metra said the suspicious package was found inside the station around 4 p.m. As a precaution, Chicago police evacuated the station and called in the bomb squad to investigate.

The movement of inbound and outbound Metra trains - including the Union Pacific North, Northwest and West lines - at Ogilvie Transportation Center has been halted due to the investigation, the transit agency said Monday afternoon.

Metra warned Monday night that the long investigation could impact Tuesday morning service, tweeting, "The service disruption on the three Union Pacific lines Monday evening may result in service changes Tuesday morning, delayed crews may have difficulty meeting their federally required rest periods."

Riders should check schedules and be prepared for atypical service on Tuesday morning.

Jasmine Williams described what happened as she was trying to get on a train out to the western suburbs.

"We were getting on the 4:05 train for Track 1 and right before the train took off, Metra police alerted us that we had to evacuate due to some police activity that was going on," Williams said. "We got moved to Concourse 1, then we got moved downstairs, then we got moved outside. And they just informed us it would be another two hours before trains would run again."

Officials have not said where the suspicious package was located in the station, but Williams said she was told it was on or near Track 5.

There was a large police presence inside and outside the station, where Chicago police shut down nearby streets.

Chicago police declared the train station clear just before 7 p.m. No further details were released.

After the all-clear was given, Metra said trains were moving but travelers should expect extensive delays.