Beagle being treated after rescue from Queens apartment fire

A 1-year-old dog is in intensive care after being rescued from an apartment fire in Queens on Tuesday morning.

Duke, a beagle, is being treated at BluePearl Veterinary Partners and is receiving oxygen to counteract the carbon monoxide he inhaled. He is expected to remain on oxygen for at least another day.

His fur is stained with soot, but he has no visible burns and appears to be responding well to treatment, according to Dr. David Wohlstadter, an emergency veterinarian with BluePearl.

Duke was home alone when the fire broke out, investigators said. He was rescued by firefighters, who initially were unable to locate the owner. The firefighters gave Duke to animal abuse investigators with the NYPD.

"When we saw the dog, he was covered with soot and he was shaking," Detective Tara Cuccias said. "It was clear that he was in distress."

Cuccias and her partner, Marique Monzert, rushed Duke to BluePearl. Dr. Wohlstadter credits Cuccias and Monzert for saving Duke.

"Thanks to the quick action of the NYPD detectives, Duke has a much better chance of having a happy birthday," Dr. Wohlstadter said. "He's a lucky dog."

Duke's second birthday is March 23.
Related Topics:
petsdogpuppyapartment fireanimal rescuepetsNew York City
(Copyright ©2018 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)