Wrigleyville arson trial may wrap up Friday

CHICAGO A psychiatrist testified Mary Smith was insane when she allegedly set a dollar bill on fire inside a three-story apartment building at Freemont and Addison in March 2007. Four people died in the fire.

Smith is charged with two counts of aggravated arson and four counts of first-degree murder. Not even her defense attorney disputes that Smith was in some way responsible for setting the fire, but the big question is whether Smith, who is a diagnosed schizophrenic, knew what she was doing.

The defense says that she had a long history of mental illness and was not aware of her actions. Prosecutors say she not only knew what she was doing but also walked away from the fire without alerting anyone.

The trial was delayed for many months because of questions of whether she was or was not fit to stand trial. Among those testifying in the trial are the parents of the fire's four victims.

"It isn't going to change anything. Those four young people are gone forever, from our lives," said Sue Pilgreen, victim's mother.

Originally from Belvidere, roommates Jennifer Carlson, 24, and Jason Bowers, 23, were hosting childhood friends Jerod Pilgreen, 21, and Joseph Schultz, 23, at their apartment at 3553 North Fremont the evening of March 10, 2007.

They were asleep when prosecutors say Smith, who had broken into the building, took a dollar bill and lit it to stay warm. It was another friend, Donald Black, who, on his way out of the building before the fire, gave Smith the bill. He identified her in court Wednesday.

Prosecutors played a two-hour tape of what they call Smith's confession. The tape shows Smith incoherent and rambling, something which defense attorney Jacqueline Ross said she will use to show that her client was legally insane at the time.

On Wednesday, even the victims' loved ones say they understand the circumstances and simply want Smith off the street.

"We just want her to be helped and not to be free to walk around. Just give her the help she needs and let it be. We can't change anything else," said Brandy Pauley, victim's friend.

And while the trial does not bring Jennifer, Jason, Joe or Jerod back, what it does accomplish, say the families, is to bring them a sense of closure.

"A day doesn't go by that I don't think of him at least once an hour. And it's been a year," said Sue Pilgreen.

"Last year we mourned and mourned, and this year we decided we would celebrate everything she liked, everything that she loved doing," said Barb Carlson, victim's mother.

On Thursday, it is the defense's turn to present their case and they are reportedly going to bring to the stand two psychiatrists that will testify that Smith was insane at the time of the fire. And that what is more, it is only a very heavy dosage of psychiatric drugs that have rendered her temporarily fit for trial.

Her bench trial is expected to wrap up Friday.

Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.