Suspect in fatal stabbing arrested in Indiana

Suspect has previous attempted murder conviction
CROWN POINT, Ind. Fifty-eight-year-old Clarence Weber was arrested Tuesday morning in northwest Indiana. Police had been searching for Weber ever since his wife collapsed and died after walking into a Lincolnshire hotel over the weekend with stab wounds.

There had been a massive manhunt for Weber in Lake County, Indiana, for the past day, and Tuesday morning he was finally captured.

Several people spotted Weber walking near 137th and Delaware just south of Crown Point city limits and they called police. An officer apprehended him within about five minutes, taking him into custody near a cornfield at about 6 a.m. Tuesday morning. Police say Weber did not put up a fight.

Weber is wanted for a murder charge in Lincolnshire. On Saturday, he allegedly stabbed his wife, Adalina, once in the chest. She stumbled into the lobby of the SpringHill Suites Marriott in Lincolnshire and she died shortly later.

The couple was estranged from each other. Adalina filed for divorce on June 30.

On Monday, Weber's red Chevrolet Equinox was found abandoned at the Flying J truck stop near Lowell, Indiana, so apparently he had been on foot ever since then.

ABC7 spoke with one of the people who spotted Weber Tuesday morning, and he called police.

"I had US 99 on, the radio station. Rambling Ray came on and said there was a fugitive in Lowell. Then, I'm like, 'This is too crazy,' it happened too fast," said Guy Arnold. spotted Weber. "I dialed the state police. They switched me to county. I got the operator on county."

"He tried to talk to him in the car and just asked where he stayed last night. Apparently, it sounds like he slept under a bridge going over I-65 last night. And he said he was walking back to Waukegan," said Mike Higgins, Lake County Sheriff's Dept.

Police say they have no official idea why Weber was in Lake County, Indiana, but there was a thought he may have been headed down to Florida where he has family.

An extradition hearing will be held sometime in the next few days. In the meantime, Clarence Weber is being held at the Lake County Jail.

Clarence Weber has a violent past. He spent six years in prison for trying to kill his first wife.

Weber served that time in Florida for trying to kill his first wife. But authorities in Lake County, Illinois, had been called to his home for domestic disturbances several times in the last year.

"She sought helpfor everything. I mean, and all for the children. She wanted to keep them safe," said Cynthia Trujillo, victim's sister-in-law.

Adelina Weber's family had been in hiding since her murder. Her two children were under police protection. The family is now hoping Clarence Weber is sent to prison for a long time.

"It was a big sigh of relief. We were afraid for our safety," said Trujillo.

Copyright © 2024 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.