Foundation is Key to Home Beautification
- It's essential that you start any design project with the freshest canvas possible. Before tackling design elements like fabrics and paint, take a good look around and address the cracking or moldy caulk around sinks or tubs and any unsightly cracks or gaps around the moldings and baseboards.
- You don't want anything to detract from your home's overall beauty and design.
- Ensure these gaps and cracks are neatly sealed
- Carey's pick to tackle a once arduous task: GE Caulk Singles
- Caulking is as easy as tear, squeeze, and toss.
- You don't need a caulk gun. These packages dispense the caulk effortlessly with one hand, and help create an even, neat bead. No tools required!
- An effortless, quick and inexpensive fix for any room at just about $3.50 a pack.
Find Design Inspiration in Your Surroundings!
- For many homeowners, just getting started in a room is the greatest challenge. Finding your inspiration need not be an overwhelming or soul searching experience but it is essential to keeping costs down and budgets focused.
- I tell my clients to stay true to their own personal tastes and style to ensure the final design is one they'll love for the long-term.
- Seek out inspiration in the things that you love and surround yourself with each day. You'll be surprised to see what will inspire a fantastic design.
- Examples of some inspiration Carey's used for my clients' designs include: - Gift bag, man's necktie, piece of jewelry, postcards, scarf or fabric swatch
Select Colors that Compliment!
- Paint is the most affordable and best DIY impact in any space but I often hear from clients that color selection is a challenge. My advice? "Let your inspiration piece guide you!"
- On your own or with the help of your local paint store, pull paint colors from your inspiration piece. Use Paint swatches or palette cards
Accenting with your taste can make a big impact!
- Most homeowners think purchasing all new furniture has to be a part of design but a more cost effective solution is rethinking and reusing the furniture you already own to get a fresh flow.
- For a new look, homeowners should instead invest in accessories that compliment their own lifestyles and taste. Whether it be travel, the great outdoors, or the movies, accessories dress a room, give it a distinct and memorable theme, and are easily changed as trends and the homeowner's mood changes
Have Fun! Just have a good foundation place first!
- Just remember, a good foundation is key. Always start there and then move onto decorating.
For more information, visit Carey's website www.careyevans.com.
About Carey Evans
Currently staring in three HGTV shows including "My First Place," "FreeStyle," and "Don't Sweat it With Steve Watson," Carey Evans is a New York City based designer whose creative problem solving approach to design has awarded her a national following of fans and clients. Evans has been able to use her wide experience in unexpected ways. From turning a family heirloom into something useful to tearing down a wall, Carey is quite the handy 'woman' to always have around.
Products shown by Carey Evans on ABC 7 News
- GE Caulk Singles $3.50 www.caulksingles.com
- CB2 Juma Vase small 5.5x7.25 $12.95 www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=583&f=4804&viewall=1
- Target Banded Slate Collection Vase 15"x6" $29.99 www.target.com/Banded-Slate-Collection-Vase-White/dp/B000V26EY8/sr=1-3/qid=1222952923/ref=sr_1_3/601-1599975-7873752?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038616&rank=price&rh=k%3Aslate&page=1
- Restoration Hardware Mother of Pearl Frame 4"x6" $39.99 www.restorationhardware.com/rh/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1353006&navCount=8
- Crate and Barrel Hughes Pillow 18" $39.99 www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1273&f=29295&q=grey&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=401273&SearchPage=1
- Macy's Fair Winds Trading Rwanda "Aurora" Fruit Bowl 12" $46.00 www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=330860&CategoryID=39173
- West Elm Feather Grey Found Feathers Pillow Cover w/ Insert 20" $50.00 www.westelm.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?partNumber=WE-PRODr625&storeId=17001&langId=-1&catalogId=17002&viewSetCode=E&parentId=WE-SH1ACCPIL&retainNav=true&cmsrc=WE-SH1ACCPIL
- West Elm Victorian Cut out Pillow Cover in Frog Green w/Insert 12"x16" $39.00 www.westelm.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?partNumber=WE-PRODr620&storeId=17001&langId=-1&catalogId=17002&viewSetCode=E&parentId=WE-SH1ACCPIL&retainNav=true&cmsrc=WE-SH1ACCPIL
- Z Gallerie Everglades Round Tray 16" $29.95 www.zgallerie.com/pc-5826-15-everglades-round-tray.aspx
- Anthropologie Toji Market Vase 11.75" $68.00 www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=76769744754586882&id=873338&parentid=LIVE_ACC_VASES&pushId=LIVE_ACC_VASES&popId=DECORATING&sortProperties=&navCount=2&navAction=jump&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=grn
- Pottery Barn Enamel Inlay Frame 4x6 $29.00 www.potterybarn.com/products/p11707/index.cfm?pkey=call%2Dframes