PORTABELLO AND GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Fresh Green Beans, trimmed and cut in half
3 large Portobello caps, gills removed
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 oz butter
1 cup toasted pecan pieces
1/3 cup bread crumbs
2 cups port
3 oz gorgonzola
1. Cook beans in boiling salted water. When they are tender, plunge into ice water until cold. Remove from ice water.
2. Oil mushroom caps and roast in a preheated 350 degree oven, 4 mins on each side until they are tender.
3. Saute red onion in butter until they are very soft and tender.
4. Over high heat, boil and reduce port to thick. Remove from heat and reserve.
5. Layer an 8x8 in pan with breadcrumbs.
6. Slice roasted mushroom caps on a bias and layer on top of bread crumbs.
7. Drizzle port reduction over mushrooms
8. Heat green beans in microwave until hot. Mix with green with caramelized onions and season with salt and pepper.
9. Place beans and onions on top of mushrooms.
10. Sprinkle with toasted pecans and gorgonzola
11. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until hot.
SWEET POTATOES WITH ORANGE AND GINGER
8 medium sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds)
1 one-half sticks unsalted butter
one-half cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
one-half teaspoon ground ginger
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Pierce the potatoes with a fork. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender.
Scoop the flesh into a bowl, discarding the skins. Add the remaining ingredients and whip with a hand mixer until smooth. You can make these potatoes up to 2 days in advance. Place the sweet potatoes into a microwave safe dish and refrigerate. When ready to serve, microwave on high until potatoes are warm.
This is a one-pot recipe and can be made days ahead. This recipe is almost as easy as opening a can.
2 pounds fresh cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 cup orange juice
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
One-half cup honey
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat until cranberries are just soft.
Transfer to a serving bowl and let it come to room temperature. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve.