The largest hobby show in the country, the family-focused event showcases model trains, R/C cars, boats, planes, helicopters, rockets, plastic and die-cast models in more than 500 booths. There are also fighting-robot competitions and demonstrations of robot intelligence at the show sponsored by the Hobby Manufacture Association.
You may never have a chance to get behind the wheel of a racecar fly a plane, or become an astronaut, but at iHobby Expo www.GiantShow.com you can live out the fantasy. At the show you and your children will be able to:
- Fly an R/C plane or helicopter
- Race a slot car
- Drive an R/C car
- Ride a miniature Thomas the Tank Engine train
- Run a model train
- Build a model
In addition, children can visit the Thomas the Tank Engine Playland or learn basic hobby techniques, taking products they make home with them. The Volo Auto Museum will also be debuting an original "General Lee" from the Dukes of Hazard TV Show that had been previously lost. They will also be showing off "Herbie the Love Bug" and the "Scooby Doo Van" at the expo.
iHobby Expo is open from 10am to 5pm on Saturday and Sunday at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, 5555 N. River Road, Rosemont. Admission for adults is $10 for adults and $8 for seniors over 65 years old. Admission is free for children under the age of 10 and Scouts in uniform.
For more information, visit www.giantshow.com.
10 am to 5 pm
Saturday and Sunday
5555 N River Road
Helicopter: FHX RTF (ready to fly) Heli by Force
- They retail for under $150, they can be purchased at the iHobby Expo or at local hobby shops. http://www.giantshow.com/Where_to_buy_tickets.html is a listing of a few local shops.
- These are brand new for this year's show.
- They are a beginner class, hobby grade helicopters that are capable of air combat using infrared technology. Basically you can play laser tag with the helicopters.
- Hobby Grade means that replacement parts are easily available at a number of local hobby shops.
- They are worth the investment over the $50-75 range toys you find in discount stores. Once those break they are done these can be easily repaired and parts replaced. Excellent start for a flying hobby.
Truck: Losi STC 1/16th scale - RTR
- Comes with everything needed right out of the box. Controller, battery, charger and vehicle.
- It retails for under $200. It has a lot of the features that some of the more expensive models carry.
Train: Thomas the Tank Engine Basic HO Starter set
- Comes with a controller, track, train
- It retails normally for under $100.