- 1 pound penne (wheat gluten free)
- 3 cups rice milk
- 4 tablespoons earth balance butter
- 6 tablespoons quinoa flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 to 14 ounces of vegan, dairy, gluten free mozzarella or cheddar
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (wheat gluten and dairy free)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the penne and cook at a boil until just tender. Drain, and set aside in a large bowl.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Bring the rice milk just to a boil in a heavy saucepan and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, melt the earth balance butter. Add the flour, and whisk over low heat for 5 minutes. Do not brown. Remove from the heat.
5. Add the hot milk to the flour mixture, and whisk well. Season with salt and pepper and return the pan to the heat. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, 5 minutes. Add to the penne, and toss well to coat the penne completely.
6. Butter a 13 x 9 x 2-inch flameproof baking dish, and fill it evenly with the penne and sauce.
7. Distribute the grated cheese evenly over the penne, and sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if needed.
8. Sprinkle and distribute the breadcrumbs.
9. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, place under broiler, 4 inches from the heat, until the top is just slightly golden and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.