- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 fresh chili peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) tin peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz) lentils, drained and rinsed
- Salt, QB
- Pepper, QB
In a saucepan, heat olive oil. Add garlic, parsley and chili peppers and saute for a few minutes until the garlic has started to turn golden.
Pour in the plum tomatoes with the juice right from the tin. With the back of a wooden spoon, break up the tomatoes into little chunks. You can decide the consistency. Then add in the rinsed lentils, salt and pepper. Let this simmer for 15-20 minutes until the soup has thickened.
For a heartier version that does not betray the soup's cucina povera roots, break up some sausage and let it slightly brown, just before you add in the tomatoes.
Per 2-4 person