Since the delicious doughnuts are fried in oil, the mitzvah of eating something fried in oil is fulfilled. These quick doughnuts are easy and children can help out with filling and rolling the confections.
- 1 scant tablespoon (1 package) dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk or warm water*
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) butter or canola oil
- Strawberry preserves or favorite flavor
- Sugar and cinnamon for rolling the doughnuts
1. Mix together the yeast, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and the milk or water. Let sit for 10 minutes to proof the yeast. (You should see bubbles on the surface.)
2. Sift the flour and mix it with the remaining sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg yolks, and the yeast mixture.
3. Knead the dough until it forms a ball. Add the butter or oil. Knead some more, until the butter is well absorbed. Cover with a towel and let rise overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out the dough into 24 rounds with a juice glass, or any object about 2 inches in diameter. Transfer to a greased baking sheet and allow to rise again.
5. Fry in oil until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and then fill with preserves in pastry bag fitted with tip. Roll the doughnuts in sugar and cinnamon mixture.