While traditions are great, but why not switch things up a bit from time to time? Pioneer Tavern Group Corporate Chef Brian Jupiter from Frontier restaurant (link: http://www.thefrontierchicago.com/) joined us in our ABC7 studio to show us how to prepare a delicious duck and dumplings meal.
Sweet Potato Dumplings
2 cups Mashed Sweet Potato 1/2 tsp Cinnamon 1/2 tsp Nutmeg 2 tblsp Melted Butter 1/2 cup Brown Sugar 1 cup Flour 2 Eggs Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Mix all ingredients until fully incorporated. 2. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3/4 cup Butter
3/4 cup Flour
1/4 cup Chopped Onions
1/4 cup Chopped Celery
1/4 cup Chopped Carrots
1 tblsp Chopped Garlic
3 cups Smoked Duck Meat
2 tblsps Fresh Thyme
2 tblsps Fresh Rosemary
4 cups Duck Stock (or Brown Chicken Stock) Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add flour and butter to heavy bottom pot, and cook for 10 min, stirring constantly.
2. Add onions, celery, carrots, garlic to the Roux, and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Add duck stock, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
4. Add duck and herbs, allow to cook uncovered for an additional 25-30 minutes.
5. Drop sweet potato mixture in the stew with a teaspoon.
6. Dumplings will float when done.
Suggested Beer Pairing:
Rogue Christmas Ale
1072 N. Milwaukee Ave.