It is not for a lack of inspiration; after all, it is hard to miss the ads right now, where stars from Janet Jackson to Mariah Carey and of course Chicago's own Jennifer Hudson are promoting different weight-loss programs. And there are easy ways to make your weight-loss resolution easier to keep this year!
Weight Watchers (link: http://www.weightwatchers.com/Templates/Marketing/Landing_1col_nonav.aspx?pageid=1218021&cid=ps_brnd) representative Lisa Krueger-Gavin was in our ABC7 studio with advice to "lighten up" your meals. She also showed us how to make a "lighter" version of mac'n'cheese.
Macaroni and Cheese
Preparation Time: 18 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
12 oz Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni
1/2 cup(s) Fat-Free Sour Cream
12 oz. Fat-Free Evaporated Milk
8 oz Low-Fat Cheddar or Colby Cheese
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp Table Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 Tbsp Dried Bread Crumbs
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl.
While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.
Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding).
Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 4-quart casserole dish.
Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.
Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- Focus on Foods with Fuel, such as lean protein, fruits, veggies, whole grains and non-fat dairy. Your body works harder to process protein and fiber than with fat and carbs. Plus, protein and fiber help you feel full.
- Add a First Course. Start your lunch or dinner with a salad with low-fat dressing; or a broth-based soup. This will fill you up so you can stay true to your portion sizes.
- Renovate Your Favorite Recipes. In most cases, simply swapping out full-fat ingredients with lighter and fiber-filled alternatives give your recipes a healthy makeover without sacrificing flavor.
- Include Indulgences. Deprivation will only serve as a road block to reaching your goal.
- Forget Exercising. The word "exercise" can be daunting for some. Instead, set a weekly goal of increased activity.