Makes approximately 3 cups
- 3 medium Haas avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion (such as Vidalia), finely chopped
- 1fresh jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons full-fat sour cream, stirred well
- 3 dashes hot sauce, or to taste (like Tabasco)
1. Halve the avocados, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Use the back of a fork to mash the avocado until it is chunky, or to the consistency of your liking. Immediately drizzle the avocado with the lime juice to prevent it from turning brown.
2. Stir the chopped tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, salt, and sour cream to the avocado and stir them in until they are evenly incorporated. Add the hot sauce and stir it gently into the guacamole. Taste the guacamole for flavor and add another dash or two of hot sauce if you want it spicier. Serve immediately.
Make-Ahead Tips: To store guacamole, spread plastic wrap over the bowl and press the plastic directly onto the entire surface of the guacamole. This will prevent the top from browning. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator like this for up to 2 days.
Serving Ideas: This recipe doubles or triples well when serving a crowd. For a true Mexican feel, serve it with fresh tortilla chips and margaritas.