Retired Sergeant remembered as 'stand-up guy'

June 21, 2012

It's been a week since the former police sergeant was killed and investigators have had little to say about the attack, until now.

Thursday afternoon, through a press release Melrose Park police say the case has been ruled a homicide and that they're working on several leads.

"Ron was a stand-up guy," said the Susek's son-in-law, Anthony Bronge. "We can't understand why and how this happened. He didn't deserve to go this way. That's what's troubling everyone the most."

Loved ones came together Thursday for the former lawman's funeral, roughly a week after the 61-year-old was found shot in the backyard of his west suburban home.

Neighbors say they heard what thought were fireworks Wednesday night only to later discover the man's garage door open and him unconscious on the ground with a 22-caliber gun near him.

Relatives say the 22-caliber may have been Susek's and that officers at the scene told them that Susek has been shot twice, once in the arm and once in the side.

The family said they believe Susek was murdered, possibly during some kind of struggle after they learned Susek had a third bullet wound to his chest from a 45-caliber weapon not found at the crime scene.

"This is just a tragedy," said Sandra Bronge, Susek's daughter. "It should never have happened."

The Melrose Park police will only say their homicide investigation is ongoing.

Susek retired from the Melrose Park police department in 2004 after 40 years on the job.

During the service, Susek was remembered his as a kind man dedicated to helping others.

And Thursday morning, as dozens of his friends and colleagues gathered to pay their respects, the family of Susek seeks justice.

"If anyone knows anything, they need to come forward because this man did not deserve to die this way," Anthony Bronge said.

Melrose Park police investigators say witnesses have told them that they did see a person leaving the area shortly after neighbors heard shots being fired.

Cook County Sheriff's office has now joined the investigation.

No one is in custody and there have been no arrests.

Copyright © 2024 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.