Applying a dry rub to the outside of the salmon completely transforms the fish's flavor! Grilling asparagus is also a great way to intensify the flavor of this vegetable.
4 - 6 oz pieces of boneless and skinless wild-caught salmon fillet
1 ½ teaspoons Italian herb blend
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground fennel (may need to grind your own in a spice grinder)
½ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bunches thin asparagus, with the bottom 2 inches trimmed off
2 garlic cloves, minced
5 Tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
1 Tablespoon small capers
2 Tablespoons minced parsley (Italian preferably)
2 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- Combine Italian herb blend, coriander, fennel, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a bowl. Sprinkle on the salmon fillets.
- Rub asparagus with 2 Tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and garlic.
- Combine 2 Tablespoons olive oil, kalamata olives, capers, parsley, and lemon juice. Reserve.
- Rub salmon with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Gill over medium high heat until the salmon is moist but cooked (about 3-4 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the salmon). At the same time, grill the asparagus until it is al dente.
- Place asparagus on the bottom of a platter. Top with salmon and then the olive/caper mixture.