Newborn Sleep Safety Event & Dinner Wednesday, October 10, 6-8:30PM
New Moms Brunch, November 18th
Portable Crib: 4 moms Breeze, $299, http://www.4moms.com/breeze Many new parents like to have baby next to them or in the same room when they first come home from the hospital. The Breeze by 4Moms is easy as it opens and folds in one-step. It comes with a bassinet feature making it suitable for newborns all the way up to toddlers up to 35 inches tall.
Crib Mattress: Many parents often ask where to spend their money in their nursery and I always say on a good crib mattress. Don't forget, babies sleep a lot and they will be spending a lot of time in their bed. We have two great mattresses that we love:
Lullaby Earth, starting at $159 http://lullabyearth.com/link_product/LE10.php This is the first completely recyclable crib mattress and at 6.9 pounds is incredibly lightweight making changing sheets a breeze. It's waterroof seamless design offers baby a comfortable and healthy sleep environment.
Naturepedic, starting at $259 http://www.naturepedic.com/products/baby/organic_crib_mattresses.php If you are looking for an organic option, we love Naturepedic. They have a lightweight series as well in addition to an option that is firm on one side and softer on the other so that you can flip the mattress once the baby is ready for a softer surface.
Swaddlig helps babies sleep like a champ. It calms them, and most babies do like it, even if it seems like they don't at first. Some of our favorite swaddle blankets:
- Summer Infant Swaddle Me: With velcro "wings" this blanket is virtually dummy proof. Even the strongest babies can't bust out of these swaddles.
- Aden + Anais Muslin swaddles: These are a fan favorite for those who like to swaddle on your own. They are soft and come in dozens of pretty colors and patterns.
- Wearable Blankets: Once your baby is rolling over it is time to move them from a swaddle to a wearable blanket. They keep baby warm and are a great indicator that when you put it on its time to go to bed. Two that we love:
- The Baby deedee Sleep Nest is PERFECT for Chicago winters! Just like wearing a down duvet, this is a soft, breathable option that babies love.
- Halo 100% Organic SleepSack: This is a great lighter weight option for the warmer months, or if your home is kept a bit on the warmer side.
Gro Egg: The ingenious Gro Egg glows red when it's too hot, blue when it's too cold, and yellow when it's just right -- an efficient way to know whether the nursery temperature is within the recommended safety guidelines for your child.
Redi-Shade Black Out Shades, starting at $6.49 http://redishade.com/store/index.html Often, babies sleep so much better in a dark room. We used these great shades that are temporary as black out shades in our nursery. Two years later the same shades are still up!
HELP: Dr. Harvey Karp's new book "The Happiest Baby's Guide to Great Sleep": http://www.happiestbaby.com/store/Babies/The-Happiest-Baby-Guide-to-Great-Sleep-Book-p26.html The book is a great resource for all parents, but gives great tips on how small things that new parents can do early to help ease into a successful sleeping pattern.