Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 10 medium sweet potatoes)
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 cups diced onions
1 cup celery, small dice
6 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon Chile powder
1/2 of a 7.5 oz. can Chipotle chile in adobo sauce (reserve 2 teaspoons sauce for salsa)—if you desire a soup that is not quite spicy, you can reduce this by half
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaf
2 bay leaves
8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast in a 350° F oven for about 2 hours or until the sweet potatoes are very soft. Remove from oven and let cool.
2. In a large pot, sauté onions and celery in olive oil until the onions are soft (about 8 minutes). Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add chile powder, chipotle, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves. Cook for 30 seconds or until the spices are fragrant.
3. Add broth and salt. Peel sweet potatoes and place them in the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaf and process soup in a blender until smooth. Be very careful when blending hot soup as it can come out of the blender if you are not careful. Never fill the blender container more than half way.
Always start blending on the lowest speed, and cover the blender with a thick kitchen towel which you hold to the top of the blender.
5. Serve soup with sesame cilantro salsa (below).
Sesame Cilantro Salsa
Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 0 minutes Serves: 12
1 bunch of cilantro (including stems), minced
1/4 cup roasted sesame seeds
4 green onions, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt