Capitol Hill shooting suspect Miriam Carey dead, child rescued from vehicle: Police

October 3, 2013 (WASHINGTON)

RAW VIDEO: Capitol Hill car chase caught on camera
PHOTOS: US Capitol on lockdown

Relatives have identified the female suspect who led officers on a car chase around Capitol Hill as Miriam Carey, 34, of Stamford, Connecticut. FBI, the Stamford Bomb Squad and other law enforcement were on the scene of the home address of the possible suspect, ABC News reports. Police on Thursday afternoon declined to comment on the suspect or the evidence pending the ongoing investigation.

The incident began when the suspect's black Infiniti rammed a barricade outside the White House, then fled the scene and led Capitol Hill police officers on a chase from the White House to Capitol Hill. Authorities did not find a weapon, sources said.

"[The suspect] circled monuments in front of Capitol Hill twice while being pursued. Then she headed toward the Capitol where Capitol Hill police and Secret Service opened fire and shot her," said Senate Sergeant at Arms Terry Gainer.

Police called the situation an isolated incident and said it is not terrorism.

"This appears to be an isolated, singular matter, with, at this point, no nexus to terrorism," said Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine.

Police say shots were fired in two locations during the pursuit. One Secret Service member and a 23-year veteran of the Capitol Police were injured while responding to the car crash. Officials said they are in good condition and expected to recover. No police officers were injured in the shooting.

"There was a lot of confusion, but it does not appear any law enforcement officers were shot," Sgt. Terry Gainer.

Illinois legislators who were on Capitol Hill on Thursday spoke with ABC7 about the lockdown. "When we got the alarm, I was in my office meeting with two small businesspersons. They were getting ready to leave, but of course, they can't leave," said U.S. Rep. Danny Davis, (D-Chicago and suburbs).

"I took all my staff that was with me at the time, brought them into my inner office, my personal office and we locked all the outer doors and began to shelter in place and wait for word of what happened," said U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Northwest Illinois).

Three senators tell ABC News they heard gunfire on Capitol Hill.

"We heard pops that sounded like shots," said Senator Bob Casey, D-Pa.

"We heard shots. They told us to get behind a car," said Senator Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio.

US Capitol Police released a message: SHELTER IN PLACE. Gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill requiring staff in all Senate Office Buildings to immediately shelter in place. Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows. Take annunciators, emergency supply kits and escape hoods; and move to your office's assigned shelter in place location or the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows. If you are not near your office, go to the office nearest to you and shelter with that office and then check in with your OEC. No one will be permitted to enter or exit the building until directed by USCP. Staff is advised to monitor the situation. Further information will be provided as it becomes available.

The lockdown lasted less than an hour and was lifted around 2 p.m. Thursday when the "all clear" was given over the loudspeaker. The building remained closed to the public, but those with credentials are allowed in and out. Many members of the Illinois congregation stayed in their offices in the Capitol during the lockdown. One employee said it was business as usual, but with precautions.

Outside, people were ushered into buildings authorities and part of Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House was closed.

ABC News reports that Capitol Police were working but not being paid due to the government shutdown.

Copyright © 2024 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.