Firefighters found black smoke pouring out of a second floor unit at the Green Meadow Apartments building in the 1100 block of West Wilson Street at 1 p.m., according to a statement from Batavia Fire Battalion Chief Edward Jancauskas.
The fire was put out in about 15 minutes, and no one was hurt, Jancauskas said.
Officials said the blaze was caused by a young child who had been playing with a lighter and accidentally set a bed on fire.
Damages to the apartment and property inside were valued at about $25,000, the statement said.
(Source: Sun-Times Media Wire - Copyright Chicago Sun-Times 2014.)