Chicago's George Floyd protests carry on for 3rd straight day; Lightfoot claims looting coordinated

Chicago, some suburbs issue curfews until further notice

Monday, June 1, 2020
Chicago George Floyd protests carry on for 3rd day; Mayor Lori Lightfoot claims looting coordinated
Crowds of protesters marched through Hyde Park Sunday to stand in solidarily with those in Minneapolis demanding justice for the death of George Floyd.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Tensions ran high as protests and looting continued throughout the Chicago area over the weekend.

Sunday marked Chicago's third straight day of protests demanding justice for George Floyd, a black man who died after a white Minneapolis officer pressed a knee into his neck.

Crowds of protesters marched through Hyde Park and River North Sunday evening, following rallies earlier at the Chicago Police Department headquarters and through Bronzeville.

Organizers say they want a change in policing in Chicago and across the country.

Demonstrators rallied outside the Chicago Police Department headquarters Sunday, calling for change in policing across the country.

Police have clashed with several groups of protesters around the city.

In River North, officers used batons to beat demonstrators.

GRAPHIC VIDEO WARNING: Police clash with protesters in River North

Chicago police used batons to beat several protesters in the River North neighborhood Sunday.

In Chicago's Old Town, a standoff between protesters and police ensued for hours.

A heavy police presence responded to what appeared to be a peaceful protest in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood Sunday night.

Several stores in Washington Park were looted Sunday evening.

ABC7's Chopper 7HD has captured looting at a strip mall near the intersection of 54th and Wentworth.

In Little Village, vandals smashed windows at a shoe store. Multiple suburban shopping malls were closed out of caution, including in Calumet City, where the mayor declared a "state of emergency."

ABC7's Chopper 7HD has captured looting at a strip mall in Chicago's Washington Park neighborhood Sunday.

After Mayor Lori Lightfoot said Saturday's peaceful protests devolved to "criminal conduct," city and state leaders are increasing efforts to stop the violence.

Until further notice, Chicago will enforce a curfew from 9 p.m. until at 6 a.m.

Gov. JB Pritzker activated 375 members of the Illinois National Guard to help with security, and declared a disaster emergency for Cook County.

"That's not a resource you enter into lightly," Lightfoot said. "The National Guard has certain optics to it, and they come with a certain level of equipment and presence. We don't want to squander it."

Chicago Police Department Supt. David Brown said, "It became clear that the case had been made. This was not a First Amendment protest, that this was a synchronized strategy to loot, burn and destroy."

Brown called it "textbook escalation of police enforcement."

Looting broke out on Michigan Avenue Saturday night, with video obtained by the ABC7 I-Team showing stores such as Salvatore Ferragamo and Zara under siege.

Looting broke out on Chicago's Michigan Avenue Saturday night, with video obtained by the ABC7 I-Team showing stores under siege.

Lightfoot claimed that the looting Saturday was coordinated.

"There clearly was coordination. They were clearly listening to our radio traffic. The number of haul trucks that magically showed up in front of stores," Lightfoot said. "Car caravans that dropped people off, broke into windows and then were hustling the goods out into back of cars. Absolutely it was organized."

Meanwhile, Mayor Lightfoot's office created boundaries around the Loop to keep out anyone with non-essential business, or those who don't live in the area.

But with access to the city's downtown area blocked, some looters have turned their focus to the suburbs.

Mount Sinai and Holy Cross has been placed on lockdown as a precautionary method to ensure caregivers and patients are safe. Officials said given the unrest, and what is going on in the city they have also activated "mass casualty" and is working closely with CPD.

In North Riverside, chaos and gunshots erupted at a shopping mall Sunday.

Several stores and businesses in Chicago and nearby suburbs have been vandalized and looted in the wake of unrest following the death of George Floyd.

Some alleged looters at North Riverside Park Mall were taken into police custody in the afternoon.

A witness at the scene claimed that people stole flat-screen TVs and other products from Best Buy, Kohl's and Burlington.

Chicago and suburban curfews:

Aurora: 8:30 p.m. Sunday - 6 a.m. Monday

Blue Island: 7 p.m. Sunday - 7 a.m. Monday

Burbank: 9 p.m. Sunday - 6 a.m. Monday

Calumet City: 8 p.m. - 6 a.m. until further notice

Chicago: 9 p.m. - 6 a.m. until further notice

Chicago Heights: 9 p.m. Sunday - 5 a.m. Monday

Chicago Ridge: 8 p.m. Sunday - 6 a.m. Monday

Kenosha: 6:49 p.m. Sunday - 7 a.m. Monday

Oak Lawn: 9 p.m. Sunday - 5 a.m. Monday

Oak Park: 9 p.m. Sunday - 6 a.m. Monday

Orland Park: 9 p.m. - 5 a.m. until further notice

River Forest: 9 p.m. - 6 a.m. until further notice

Tinley Park: 8 p.m. Sunday - 6 a.m. Monday

South suburban Orland Park police have also reported "events" at the Orland Square Mall, and near 159th and LaGrange Sunday afternoon.

"In many cases, violent actors appear to be using these demonstrations for their own agendas," Orland police officials said in a statement.

The vandalism and violence prompted Village of Orland Park Mayor Keith Pekau to declare a state of emergency and impose a village-wide curfew from 9:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. "as a precaution."

Officials in the west suburbs also declared a curfew "to match the City of Chicago's," according to a press release Sunday. The curfew will be in effect between the hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. until further notice. Essential workers are exempt from the curfew.

The mayor of south suburban Calumet City issued a curfew "due to an existing public safety emergency." The curfew is set to take effect at Sunday from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice, restricting all vehicular and pedestrian movement unless related to emergency personnel, law enforcement, or essential worker commuting. They mayor stated that no one else is allowed in any public place during those hours. and said the curfew will be enforced to the fullest extent of the law.

A video from suburban Aurora shows a police vehicle engulfed in flames Sunday night.

Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin declared a state of emergency and issued a curfew for the municipality from 8:30 p.m. Sunday until 6 a.m. Monday.

To further increase security, all Interstate 88 entrance ramps to Aurora will be closed during the curfew. Aurora residential or employment identification is necessary to obtain entrance from the interstate.

Lightfoot said city leaders will need to make an determination before Chicago can reopen June 3, as planned.

The mayor didn't release any details on when the reopening decision would be made.

"This is a time for us to unite," Lightfoot said. "We have to turn into purpose in order to get through this moment together."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.