Suspect killed in Chicago police shooting after CPD called to Irving Park bar for man with gun

Irving Park shooting: Security guard at nearby bar said man who police shot had pulled gun on him earlier in the night

Thursday, February 9, 2023
Suspect killed in Chicago police shooting after CPD called to Irving Park bar for man with gun
EMBED <>More Videos

There was a Chicago shooting Wednesday in which CPD officers shot and killed a suspect on North Troy Street in Irving Park, police say.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A man is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Chicago's Irving Park early Wednesday morning, according to Chicago police.

It all stemmed from a disturbance that began at a bar in the 3700- block of Kedzie Avenue.

The man, who has not yet been identified was fatally shot after Chicago police were called for a report of a man with a gun, CPD Superintendent David Brown said.

Bar patrons inside Christina's Place witnessed the incident.

A security guard for the bar said the man who police shot came inside to have a drink. Then, at around 3 a.m., the security guard said the man stepped outside to have a cigarette.

The guard said he noticed the man in his 20s seemed agitated, as he was talking with some people outside.

That's when the security guard went outside to see what was happening.

RELATED: Robbery suspect, Milwaukee police officer killed in struggle, shooting during pursuit: officials

"The vibe wasn't right. So I stepped outside to see what was going on, and the young man pulled a gun on me and pointed it at me and told me, 'Oh, I'm this type of gang, I'm this type of gang.' I told him, I put my hands up in the air, I said, 'Brother, we're not about that, all we are about is selling liquor and having a good time.' And that's where it ended," the security guard, who goes by Miranda, said. "From that point on, we called the Chicago police, and they did their job."

Miranda said within minutes of police arriving, he heard several shots down the block behind a church.

Brown confirmed much of what Miranda said in a news conference later Wednesday morning.

He said after police arrived just after 3:05 a.m., the suspect ran into an alley and there was an exchange of gunfire in the 3700-block of North Troy Street.

"From what we know now, based on body-worn camera, the offender fired his weapon and the officers fired their weapons," Brown said.

The suspect was shot and died on the scene, CPD said.

How many shots were fired by officers and the offender remains unanswered.

"We have to inspect the weapons. Check each weapons magazines to see how many bullets were discharged. Look for casings to make sure they account is accurate," Brown said.

The two officers involved, a 12-year veteran and probationary cop, were not injured and have been placed on routine leave for 30 days after the incident, Brown said. They were also taken to a hospital for observation.

A firearm with an extended magazine was recovered at the scene, Brown said.

Officials also said they will most likely have to rely on fingerprinting by the medical examiner to identify the man.

There is body camera footage of the incident and likely other video footage as well, Brown added.

There was a large police presence in the area, and an ambulance could be seen shortly after the incident. Some roads were closed, as well.

Members of the Civilian Office of Police Accountability responded to the scene.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call COPA at 312-746-3609 or visit

INTERACTIVE SAFETY TRACKER | Track crime and safety in your neighborhood