2 killed, 1 wounded in Bucktown shooting outside Dolphin club

EMBED </>More Videos

Alderman calls on city to close Dolphin after two men were shot to death outside the Bucktown nightclub. (WLS)

Two men were killed and a third was wounded in a shooting outside Dolphin Chicago, a nightclub in the city's Bucktown neighborhood.

Elijah Moore, 41, was fatally shot in the chest around 3 a.m. Monday. Deonta Jackson, 35, was shot several times and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The third victim, a 26-year-old man, was shot in the wrist. He was taken to Illinois Masonic Hospital.

Investigators said a fight that broke out inside the Dolphin moved outside to the street near Ashland and Webster. Officials are reviewing security cameras.

"All of a sudden we see a fight. Then we see the security trying to break it up, kick all the people outside, kick all the people that were fighting outside," D. Kelly, a witness, said. "After that we just heard, 'boom boom boom boom.' Hit the floor. Everybody in the club hit the floor."

Officials have not said if the gunman was on foot or in a car. No one is in custody in the shooting and officials have not said if the victims were targeted.

Chicago Alderman Scott Waguespack, Ward 32, wants the nightclub closed. He said he spoke with the mayor about problems at Dolphin last fall.

"We've had stabbings, shootings. We've had fights on the dance floor. We had in December 5 incidents in one night," Waguespack said. "We're telling the city just shut this place down. Rein them in. Do whatever you have to. We've done our part to make sure that you knew this is a problem. The police are spending way too much time here."

The 4 a.m. club is not in a residential area, but Bucktown neighbors said it's close to one and the increasing amount of foot traffic is not welcome.

"It's a huge negative impact. I've been on the phone all morning getting complaints from neighbors," Steve Jensen, Bucktown Community Organization, said.

Moore's mother, Janice, said a family friend who was with her son called in the middle of the night to tell her about the shooting. She confirmed with police at the scene her son was dead.

"I was breath-taken when I came across the street and seen her. I didn't know that was him," community activist Andrew Holmes said. "I've known Elijah for 30 years. We came up boxing in the gym and playing basketball at church. I know his family, grandmother and everybody."

"He's not the type of guy that would get into it with anybody. He's quiet. He's not likely to get into it with anybody, about anything. He's very quiet. He's a quiet person," said Mary Tate, Moore's relative.

Moore is survived by two sons, 20 and 22, and a daughter, 7.
Related Topics:
chicago shootingChicago - Bucktown
(Copyright ©2018 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.)