The prizes for defensive excellence were announced by Rawlings for the 60th time.
Arenado, the All-Star Colorado Rockies third baseman, joins Ichiro Suzuki as the only players to win at least five Gold Gloves to start their careers, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
"Obviously, five, it's a pretty special number," Arenado said. "It means a lot. ... Right now I want to try to win as many as I can while I'm healthy."
Heyward joins Andre Dawson as the only Cubs outfielders to win consecutive Gold Gloves, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
This year's honorees feature 12 previous winners and six first-time winners:
- P Marcus Stroman, Toronto Blue Jays - 1st award
- C Martin Maldonado, Los Angeles Angels - 1st award
- 1B Eric Hosmer, Kansas City Royals - 4th award
- 2B Brian Dozier, Minnesota Twins - 1st award
- 3B Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay Rays - 3rd award
- SS Andrelton Simmons, Los Angeles Angels - 3rd award
- LF Alex Gordon, Kansas City Royals - 5th award
- CF Byron Buxton, Minnesota Twins - 1st award
- RF Mookie Betts, Boston Red Sox - 2nd award
- P Zack Greinke, Arizona Diamondbacks - 4th award
- C Tucker Barnhart, Cincinnati Reds - 1st award
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt, Arizona Diamondbacks - 3rd award
- 2B DJ LeMahieu, Colorado Rockies - 2nd award
- 3B Nolan Arenado, Colorado Rockies - 5th award
- SS Brandon Crawford, San Francisco Giants - 3rd award
- LF Marcell Ozuna, Miami Marlins - 1st award
- CF Ender Inciarte, Atlanta Braves - 2nd award
- RF Jason Heyward, Chicago Cubs - 5th award
The World Series championHouston Astros and NL championLos Angeles Dodgers were both shut out. Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel had won the past three years. Meanwhile, the Twins were represented by two first-time winners in Buxton and Dozier.
"This is a special moment," Buxton said.
Barnhart, the first Reds catcher to win since Hall of Famer Johnny Bench in 1977, also became the second different catcher (theSan Francisco Giants'Buster Posey won in 2016) to win in the NL in the past two years after theSt. Louis Cardinals' Yadier Molina won eight straight at the position. Posey and Molina were again nominated this year.
"It's as good as it gets for me. I'm a defensive guy, and I take a lot of pride in that," Barnhart said. "I am taken aback by it, to be honest with you. ... Buster and Yadi are obviously two of the best guys in baseball."
The Angels' Maldonado snapped Salvador Perez's four-year winning streak for AL catcher.
The "Best of the Best" honor -- voted on by fans --- will be unveiled Friday and will be given to one AL winner and one NL winner.
Additionally, Derek Jeter will be recognized with the Rawlings Heart of Gold Award and Reggie Jackson will be honored with its Lifetime Achievement Award. Omar Vizquel and Ivan Rodriguez will also be inducted into the Rawlings Gold Glove Award Hall of Fame.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Arenado captures fifth straight Gold Glove
Nolan Arenado joins Baseball Tonight after becoming the first infielder ever to win five straight Gold Gloves, those being the first five years of his career.