Father saves children from burning home

April 30, 2008 1:49:06 PM PDT
A northwest Indiana father saved his family after he woke up and discovered their home was on fire.

The fire happened overnight at a home on Jackson Street in Gary. Albert Ezell lives there with his wife and their four children. They range in age from 2 to 8 years old. When Ezell woke up and smelled smoke he went downstairs to see what was wrong.

"I got to the bottom of the steps and I seen the flames and I ran back upstairs and started waking everybody up and getting them out. Me and my wife got them out one by one," said Albert Ezell, father.

"It didn't look good when we first got to the house here. We got a report that it was occupied and when we arrived it was fully involved. We didn't know they were out so that was a blessing to hear," said Battalion Chief Don Williamson, Gary Fire Department

Ezell said it appeared the kids were all okay.

Officials say the fire was caused by a kerosene heater.


Load Comments