"The Gospel Music Festival is one of many festivals sponsored annually by the City of Chicago to showcase and celebrate Chicago's diverse musical heritage", said Megan McDonald, Executive Director of the Mayor's Office of Special Events. "This year's festival line-up is an example of the many genres within gospel music drawing from classical to R&B to traditional gospel that will be presented by the many award winning performers."
On Friday, May 30 at the Pritzker Pavilion, fans of BET's Sunday's Best will be delighted as Percy Bady Presents "Gospel's Next Showcase". Two of Sunday's Best finalists Tasha Collins and Shari Addison will bring Gospel to life. Aaron Seldge will also perform in the showcase he is the Children's Minister of Music at The House of Hope in Chicago. Headlining on Friday at the Pritzker Pavilion are the 2008 Stellar Award winners for Quartet of the Year, The Rance Allen Group with their soul soothing sound that is sure bring the audience to their feet.
An "Evening of Gospel Elegance"on Saturday, May 31 at the Pritzker Pavilion includes a special salute to Professor Robert E. Wooten Sr. and features the Wooten Choral Ensemble, Pastor DeAndre Patterson and many surprises. Steller Award nominees Joshua's Troop and the much anticipated Darius Brooks and The Tommies Reunion take the Pritzker stage on Saturday evening. Finally, with their inspirational sound, Grammy, Stellar and Dove award winners The Mighty Clouds of Joy will bring the evenings performances to a crescendo.
An evening with the legendary ladies of gospel music is set to close the Festival on Sunday, June 1. Gospel music icon Lady Tramaine Hawkins, this years Stellar Award winner for Lifetime Achievement and past Grammy and Dove winner, brings her soprano chops and class act to the Pritzker stage. "A Tribute to the Queen of Gospel", Dr. Albertina Walker, featuring Leanne, Faine, Kim McFarland and Anita Wilson. For the finale, Gospel Music Hall of Fame members The Clark Sisters, close the evening with their commanding style and fusion of sound. The Clark Sisters won three major Grammy's at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards and in June 2007 received the esteemed President's Merit Award for Lifetime Achievement at the Grammy Salute to Gospel.
Gospel music enthusiasts are invited to enjoy uplifting entertainment on Saturday and Sunday at the Walgreens Day Stage and the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge Gospel Youth Tent. Performances feature local choirs, quartets and more with gospel music sounds sure to make this weekend one to remember.
Admission is FREE and performances begin on Friday, May 30 at 4:00 until 9:30 p.m. and on Saturday, May 31 and Sunday, June 1 at 11:00 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. Entertainment at the Pritzker Pavilion begins at 5:00 p.m. all three days.
The Chicago Gospel Music festival is presented by the Mayor's Office of Special Events with the help of many generous sponsors including: Walgreens, Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep, Communications Direct, Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago Tribune, chicagotribune.com, Chicago Defender, Hinckley Springs, Inspiration 1390, La Grou Distribution System, Pepsi-Cola, WGN-TV and the 50 Million Pound Challenge Sponsored by State Farm.
The Mayor's Office of Special Events encourages taking public transportation to all lakefront festivals. Call (312) 836-7000, TTY (312) 836-4949 for information on RTA, CTA, PACE and Metra. Lakefront parking is available at the Millennium Park Garage, as well as at East Monroe, Grant Park North and Grant Park South parking garages. Millennium Park is located in downtown Chicago, on Michigan Avenue between Randolph and Monroe Streets.
The City of Chicago does not endorse or promote any religious messages expressed by the performers. For more information and updates on the Gospel Music Festival call the Mayor's Office of Special Events (312) 744-3315 or visit www.chicagogospelmusicfestival.us. For great hotel rates, call 1 (877) CHICAGO.
Friday, May 30, 2008
- 6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - G3 (God Gets the Glory)
- 6:40 p.m. - 7:10 p.m. - Walt Whitman & The Soul Children of Chicago
- 7:20 p.m. - 8:05 p.m. - Percy Bady presents: "Gospel's Next Showcase" featuring Aaron Sledge, Tasha Collins, & Shari Addison
- 8:10 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Canton Jones
- 8:40 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - The Rance Allen Group
- 5:00 p.m. - 5:35 p.m. - Joshua's Troop (more info: visit www.amazon.com or www.newhavenrecords.com)
- 5:45 p.m. - 6:20 p.m. - Darius Brooks & The Tommies Reunion
- 6:30 p.m. - 7:15 p.m. - Marvin Sapp
- 7:25 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Fred Nelson, III presents: "An Evening of Gospel Elegance" saluting Professor Robert E. Wooten, Sr. featuring The Wooten Chorale Ensemble, Pastor DeAndre Patterson, and there's more?
- 8:45 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - The Mighty Clouds of Joy
- 4:40 p.m. - 4:55 p.m. - Apostolic Church of God Children's Choir
- 5:00 p.m. - 5:25 p.m. - Dexter Walker & The Zion Movement
- 5:35 p.m. - 6:20 p.m. - Rev. Dr. Lucuis Hall presents: "A Touch of Chicago's Gospel Pioneers/Legends" featuring Rev. Mitty Collier, Dorothy Gunn, Rev. Jerry Goodloe & Rev. Issac Whittmon
- 6:35 p.m. - 6:55 p.m. - Bishop Neal Roberson
- 7:05 p.m. - 7:50 p.m. - Lady Tramaine Hawkins
- 8:00 p.m. - 8:50 p.m. - Percy Gray presents: "A Tribute to the Queen of Gospel", Dr. Albertina Walker featuring Leanne Faine, Kim McFarland, & Anita Wilson
- 9:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - The Clark Sisters