Yield: 2 servings
- 2 (5 to 6-oz.) tilapia filets
- Flour, to dust
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tbls. milk
- 1 ½ cups finely ground cashews
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbls finely minced red bell pepper
- 1 tbls finely minced yellow bell pepper
- 1 tbls finely minced green bell pepper
- 2 tbls scallions slices to about ¼ inch
1. Bread the filets by first dusting them with the flour, then dipping them in the beaten egg mixture, and finally coating them thoroughly with the ground cashews. (it's best to do this ahead of time and let them rest in the fridge for 10 min.)
2. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or skillet and pan fry the tilapia. Cook the fish on both sides until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on both sides.
3. Place fish on serving plates (pour on sauce at this point if desired)
4. Combine the peppers to make a "pepper confetti" and sprinkle the dish with the peppers and the scallions.
5. Serve with steamed vegetables and brown rice for a healthy meal for your family!
Optional Sauce: Lemon Butter Sauce
Yield: about 1/3 cup
- 3 tbls butter, melted
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Stir together melted butter and next 2 ingredients until blended. Stir in parsley.
Yield: 6 servings
A heart-healthy spin on a classic American favorite .Seafood and white beans lighten the dish and provide great flavor.
- 1/2 lb. white beans
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions and celery
- 1/4 cup each: red , yellow and green bell peppers
- 3 tbls. chopped garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 28 oz. canned, diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tbls. Tabasco sauce
- 4 tbls. tomato paste
- 2 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teas. dried oregano
- 2 teas. chili powder
- 1 teas. cumin
- 2 tbls. chopped basil and parsley
- 2 teas. thyme
- 1 lb. seafood (cod, halibut, tilapia, shrimp or your favorite diced into 1-inch pieces)
2. Saute the onions, celery and peppers in the olive oil to soften. Add the garlic and cool for 1 minute. Add the wine and reduce for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
3. Drain the cooked beans and add to the vegetable mixture along with the Tabasco, tomato paste, water or chicken broth and herbs. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Add the seafood and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes. Stir carefully to incorporate seafood without breaking it up too much. A great tailgating recipe!
Seafood Mac & Cheese
This recipe yields 4 servings:
- 8 oz of mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tbls butter
- 8 oz small shrimp
- 8 oz bay scallops
- 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1.5 cups Cheese Sauce (see recipe)
- 3 tbls chopped chives
- 4 tbls grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbls bread crumbs
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
2. Add the seafood and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add the cooked macaroni and stir. Add the Cheese Sauce and blend thoroughly. Season with salt, pepper and chives.
4. Place the mixture in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and the Parmesan cheese.
5. Brown the scallops and add them to the top of the mixture. Makes a great side dish for the holidays!
Yields 6 tacos
- 12 oz. tilapia of any firm fish, diced to about 1 inch
- 6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 avocado cut into 12 slices
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tbls. mayonnaise
- 1 tbls. chipotle pepper puree
- 3 oz. sour cream
- About 3 tbls. canola oil
2. In a large nonstick pan, sauté the fish in the oil and cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Set aside, meanwhile wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and warm them in a microwave for 20 to 30 seconds or place on a grill to warm.
4. Combine mayonnaise and chipotle and spread on tortillas
5. Layer the remaining ingredients and the fish onto the tortilla and gentle fold in half.
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tbls chopped garlic
- 1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbls salt
- 1 tbls pepper
- 1 tbls garlic powder
2. Grind the onions and mushrooms very finely in a food processor, can use a blender but set on a low setting.
3. Combine all the ingredients and blend, but don't over mix.
4. The meatloaf can be baked free-form on a baking sheet or pressed into a loaf pan.
5. Bake until internal temperature reaches around 160 degrees F, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let it rest for about 10 minutes and enjoy.
* Try substituting lean turkey burger for ground beef and tilapia, cubed for ground pork for a healthy alternative!