May 11, 2010 (CHICAGO) --
Five days off. That's the punishment Cook County Board President Todd Stroger deems appropriate for his embattled deputy chief of staff.ABC 7 News has learned Carla Oglesby returned to the county payroll today, despite the fact the Cook County Inspector General has not completed his investigation into how she managed to collect a nearly $25,000 county contract days after she joined Stroger's administration. Stroger's office has previously confirmed the check was an "advance payment" and Oglesby has not yet completed any of the work outlined in the contract.
"I'm shocked," Cook County Commissioner Tim Schneider said when told Oglesby returned to work today. He said Stroger's decision to return his former campaign spokesperson to the payroll is tantamount to "thumbing his nose" at the County Board.
Stroger spokesman Gene Mullins confirmed Oglesby was back on the job today. "The President needs her back," Mullins said.
Last week county commissioners voted almost unanimously to strip Stroger of his power to hire, fire and give out raises. He vetoed that Tuesday.