Charcoal grill in pickup sparks I-80 fire

May 29, 2012 4:27:22 AM PDT
A 27-year-old driver from Tennessee said he did not know a grill in the back of his pickup still had hot coals in it when he took off from an Indiana beach Monday.

Joey Rodger's black 1999 Ford pickup caught fire around 5:11 p.m. on westbound I-80 in Indiana near mile marker 11 Monday.

The vehicle was loaded with three charcoal grills, with one of them having hot coals inside. The hot coals ignited the bed liner of the vehicle causing the fire. The Gary Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire.

Rodger told police that they were at an Indiana beach near Monticello, and another person loaded the grills onto the truck. Rodger was able to drive the truck again despite the fire.

Load Comments