Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie apartment residents

Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected for hospitalizing 12 residents of an apartment building in Skokie.
December 19, 2013 5:39:11 AM PST
Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected for hospitalizing 12 residents of an apartment building in north suburban Skokie.

Emergency crews were on the scene at an apartment building in the 8000 block of Keating in Skokie. A resident of the building called 911 around 2:45 a.m. Thursday after feeling ill.

Firefighters were forced to break into some apartments to help residents get outside to safety. When police and fire officials arrived, they realized that a carbon monoxide leak had occurred, police said.

The victims were brought outside by emergency officials and given oxygen. There have been no life-threatening injuries reported. It's not yet known what caused the high levels of carbon monoxide in the building.


Load Comments