One of the best reasons to make it is for leftovers. You don't just have to rely on sandwiches. Tony Stallone with Peapod, came into our ABC 7 Eyewitness News studio to show us how to make corned beef hash.
Tony's Tips For Buying Corned Beef:
1. Beware of the Sodium
Corned Beef can range from 550mg up to 1050mg per serving.
2. All corned beef is not created equal.
- There are 2 types of corned beef, point and brisket.
- Points are fattier, so if you like more fat this is the cut for you.
- Brisket or Flat is leaner, and in my opinion a more flavorful cut.
3. Don't let the price fool you - read the fine print
- Points are far cheaper, but there is more waste because of the fat.
- Brisket or Flats are more expensive but have less waste.
4. Save some for later
Tony's Recipe: Corned Beef Hash and Eggs
1lb Corned Beef cooked chopped coarsely
6 oz Quartered fingerling potatoes
1 Green Pepper diced
1 Onion small diced
2T Butter unsalted (preferably)
In a large skillet (preferably iron) melt butter and add potatoes over med heat. While the potatoes are browning coarsely chop the corned beef with a large kitchen knife or cut into chunks and put in a food processor and pulse until chopped (not too fine). Add peppers and onions to skillet until just soft, add corned beef. Turn heat to med hi , pat down mixture with spatula. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until crisp on the bottom, mix up and and make 4 impressions into mixture and crack 4 eggs, cover turn heat to med low and cook until eggs set, but are still have running yolk 3 - 4 minutes or once you crack the eggs transfer oven able skillet to 325 degree oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until eggs set.