Woman who disappeared will not face charges

December 31, 2007 4:02:58 PM PST
Cook County authorities say a married woman whose disappearance to be with another man prompted a costly search with underwater divers and helicopters won't face criminal charges.

The husband of a Des Plaines woman whose disappearance on Christmas Eve set off a large search effort is talking about his wife's disappearance. Anu Solanki returned home safely this weekend after police say she ran off with another man.

Monday afternoon the states attorney's office along with Cook County sheriff's police decided not to pursue criminal charges against Anu Solanki simply because investigators say she was so remorseful about the incident. Monday, the woman's husband continues to struggle with his wife's actions and just wants to know why.

"I will go on with my life," said Dignesh Solanki, husband.

Dignesh Solanki hid his face while talking on camera with ABC7 because of embarrassment over the disappearance and then reappearance of his wife Anu Solanki. Authorites thought the 24-year-old bride had vanished from the banks of the Des Planes River while disposing of a broken Hindu idol used in the couple's May wedding.

Police say, it turns out she left the area with another man, apparently dissatified with her marriage.

"I was loving her like a queen, and I gave her whatever she wanted. I don't know what happened, where I we want wrong and what I did, because everything was loving," said Dignesh.

At first, Solanki feared his wife had been abducted. Relatives found her car -- motor running -- in a suburban forest preserve after she had told a friend she thought she was being followed by four men earlier that day. She eventually returned to Chicago after police say she headed out to California with an "old acquaintance" police identify as Karan Jani.

Investigators say the 23-year-old man had been sharing romantic text messages with Solanki even after she was married.

"He knew she was married. I don't know why he did this," said Dignesh.

Officials spent over $250,000 in search efforts to find Solanki. Investigators say she tells them she just wanted out of her marriage.

Her family is just glad she is safe.

"We are really sad that this thing happened like that, but we are happy, too, that they found her and she is live," said Dihren Patel, Anu Solanki's brother.

Anu Solanki remains in seclusion as authorities decide if they will use the Swanson Law to recover investigative cost. The law was created after the 1988 disappearance of two Wheaton college students who made their own disappearance look like foul play.