Man charged in Logan Square double murder

January 4, 2008 4:41:53 PM PST
One person has been charged in the murder of two people in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood on New Year's Day.

Two people were killed and two others seriously wounded in the shooting in the 2400-block of North Monticello. Police believe it was drug related.

Twenty-four-year-old Michael Sanchez has been charged with two counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder. Police are still looking for two other suspects.

Community members gathered outside the North Monticello home Friday evening to express outrage at the execution-style shooting on New Year's Day of four people.

Investigators say the shootings were drug-related: either a robbery or deal gone bad. Forty-seven-year-old Martha Orteaga and 30-year-old Jose Bravo, neither of whom lived at the Monticello address, were killed. Two other people were critically wounded.

All the victims were bound with duct tape before they were shot.

"You can't allow this type of violence to be normal in this community. Every time something like this happens, we're going to come out," said David Cassel, community activist.

"How do you begin the new year with an act of violence like this," said Maggie Pagan, community activist. "When we're working so hard to stop the shooting."

Friday afternoon, prosecutors charged 24-year-old Mark Sanchez with two counts each of first degree murder and attempted murder. Police are still looking for one or two other suspects who reportedly traveled to the crime scene in a stretch limousine.

To show their concern and support, 25th District police held an afternoon roll call outside the Monticello address. They are on the lookout for at least one other suspect believed to have been involved in Tuesday's shootings.

"Unfortunately, in this incident the individuals involved were not innocent. They knew what they were involved in, it was criminal activity," said Cmdr. Juan Rivera, Chicago Police Department.

Rivera confirmed police know who they are looking for in this case. One suspect is already charged and being held without bond. At least one, possibly two others, remain at large.