Family of man killed in fire sues nursing home
null Sixty-seven-year-old Igor Shteyn was killed in a fire that began in the closet of his room at the Hampton Plaza Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center. Shteyn's roommate, 76-year-old Norm Berdichevsky was also killed. Both men were asleep at the time and died of smoke inhalation. Officials are trying to determine if the smoke detector in the room was working. Shteyn's daughter appeared with her attorney to announce the suit Monday. Attorney Louis Cairo iquestioned the reliability of reports that say smoke detectors in the hallway were working. "Many of the people were actually woken up by individuals banging on their doors and coming in their rooms. They were not woken by smoke detectors beeping off or fire alarms beeping," he said. A call Monday afternoon to the nursing home for a response was not immediately returned.
More TOP STORIES News