Artisan Cheese Sandwiches (with pickled vegetables)
Ingredients: (four sandwiches)
- 8 slices peasant- or Pullman Loaf-style artisan white bread
- 8 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 16 oz. firm brie cheese
- 8 slices Gruyre cheese (approximately ½ pound)
- 8 slices Emmental gourmet Swiss cheese (approximately ½ pound)
- olive oil cooking spray
To assemble: Spread Dijon evenly on one side of each piece of bread. Over the Dijon, evenly spread the brie and a light topping of the pickled vegetables. Close the sandwiches with the cheese mixture on the inside. Place the sandwiches on a medium-heat grill and brown for two-minutes on each side.
Remove from grill and place each sandwich on an aluminum foil square - lightly coated with olive oil spray. Slide two slices of Emmental cheese below each sandwich, and top each with two slices of Gruyere. Loosely fold the foil into a packet (do not seal the edges) and return to the grill. With the grill lid closed, cook 10 minutes; then turn the sandwich packets and grill an additional five minutes with the lid closed.
Remove from heat and allow the sandwiches to cool for two minutes in the packets. The summer grill-artisan cheese sandwiches are distinguished by their creamy filling and crusted outside texture.
- 8 stalks asparagus -- peeled and sliced
- 1 cucumber – peeled, seeded and diced into approx. 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 5 sprigs dill
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 8 pepper corns
In a medium pot, stir together the vinegars, water, sugar, herbs and pepper corns and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour the boiling mixture over the vegetables placed in a medium bowl. Cover with a seal-tight lid or with plastic wrap. Let cool for one-half hour and then refrigerate.
The pickled vegetables may be prepared in advance and stored 24- to 48-hours in the refrigerator.
For more info:
- Marion Street Cheese Market
- 101 North Marion Street, Oak Park