It's not clear what sparked the fire which broke out around 5 a.m.in the 2900 block of West 59th Street. However, firefighters say the man's home was filled with debris from the floor to the ceiling and it got in the way of their search for him.
A friend of the victim says he kept to himself, but would give you the shirt off his back.
"I'm very sad because I'm probably one of his few friends that he had in this neighborhood. I talked with him actually yesterday," said Joe Banchak.
"Right now there's no indication that there was a working smoke detector. I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that you need to have a working smoke detector and be sure to test it," said Chief Curtis Powell, Chicago Fire Department.
Following the fire, members of the Chicago Fire Department along with 16th ward alderman Joann Thompson walked the neighborhood and handed out smoke detectors.