Total Time: About 1 hour 30 minutes (including giblet cooking time)
Makes: 12 to 14 servings (or about 14 cups)
- 12 ounces chopped thick-sliced hickory smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced leeks
- 2 cups chopped celery root
- 1-1/2 cups chopped parsnips
- 8 cups whole grain bread, cubed and toasted
- 4 cups country white bread, cubed and toasted
- 2 cups cooked bulgur wheat
- Giblets from turkey, cooked and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth or reserved broth from giblets
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place neck, heart, gizzard, water to cover, salt and pepper to taste in large saucepan. (Reserve the liver for later use or discard.) Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover.
3. Simmer 1-1/2 hours, adding the liver, if desired, for the last 30 minutes of the cooking time. Strain stock; cover and refrigerate until ready to use in stuffing mixture. Remove meat from the neck; discard bones. Finely chop neck meat, heart, gizzard and liver, if using; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Cook bacon in a large saucepan on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving bacon fat in pan. Drain bacon on paper toweling. Add butter to bacon fat.
5. Saute leek, celery root and parsnips in bacon-butter mixture until tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Combine cooked vegetables, breads, bulgur wheat, cooked giblets, parsley, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cooked bacon in large bowl. Gradually pour in chicken broth, mixing until all ingredients are moist.
7. Place mixture in well greased 4-quart baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.