History of Holy Name

February 4, 2009 (CHICAGO) 1871:The original Holy Name was destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire. Rebuilding began almost immediately.

November 1875: The current cathedral was dedicated.

1888: The first of many renovations began

1979: Pope John Paul II visited Holy Name after celebrating mass in Grant Park. He heard concerts of liturgical music by tenor Luciano Pavarotti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

November 1996: Thousands came to Holy Name to mourn a Chicago prelate. People lined up around the cathedral campus to pay their respects to Joseph Cardinal Bernadin, who had been archbishop of Chicago for 14 years.

May 1997: Portland Bishop Francis George was named archbishop of Chicago. Thousands came out for his installation ceremony, which took place at Holy Name.

2008: The sanctuary underwent extensive repairs after significant problems were found in the ceiling's structure. In February, a decorative piece of the ceiling fell onto the pews. The sanctuary was closed for nearly a year for repairs. Daily mass resumed there just this past November.

February 2009: Fire rips through Holy Name sanctuary

Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.