New search effort for Stacy Peterson

August 21, 2009 (BOLINGBROOK, Ill.) They were acting on a tip that Stacy's husband Drew Peterson was seen in that area. They apparently received that tip some time ago but were just able to act on it now.

WATCH THE VIDEO: New search effort for Stacy Peterson

Stacy's family and friends are out searching different locations almost every weekend. But it is rare for a call for volunteers to go out and that is exactly what happened Friday.

"We just search and continue on. There's no place that I won't search or check," said Cassandra Cales, Stacy's sister.

It's been nearly two years since Stacy Peterson disappeared from her Bolingbrook home, and though her husband, former police sergeant Drew Peterson is now in jail charged with the killing of his third wife, Kathleen Savio, there is still no closure for Stacy's family.

So, Friday, they came out to search again, nearly two dozen volunteers treaded for hours through the marsh north and west of 355 and Boughton Road in Bolingbrook.

"This is an another area of interest and this lady said had e-mailed and said that she had seen Drew in this area. This is after Stacy was reported missing," said Cales.

This area has long been on Cales' list of places to search, but she says it is only now it has dried out enough for people to go in. Still, it was a treacherous few hours for many first-time volunteers.

"We started going out through the cattails, and then it quickly became swampy, and then swamp turned to pond, and so we went through that. That was about thigh high," said Betsy Lane, volunteer.

"Huge brush and, when you're with your group, you can lose people very quickly. I was amazed at how fast. . We were holding hands, and within seconds, completely, you lose visual of the person standing next to you. So it was kind of scary at certain points," said Victoria Medina, volunteer.

A couple of hours into the search a boat was brought in to get a better look at some of the areas near the water. At one point, some of the searchers thought they had came upon something of interest, a mound of earth that looked to be out of place, but in the end it turned out to be nothing and the search was suspended, at least for today.

"It's nice to feel like you're doing whatever you can to help bring closure," said Lane.

Though nothing was found Friday., some volunteers will be back over the course of the next week with sonar to go over the area again. This is in addition to some other undisclosed locations that searchers will head to this weekend.

Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.