Mom charged after baby dies from homemade burn treatment

June 17, 2013 (HOUSTON)

Police say Habibo Ibrahim's 11-month-old daughter was found dead in the family's apartment in March. An officer says the child's skin was severely burned.

Through a Somalian interpreter, Ibrahim initially told police that she wasn't in the room when the baby knocked a pan of boiling water off the stove, burning herself. When police questioned how the child could have bumped the stove, Ibrahim changed her story, saying that she came into the room and found the baby's pajamas on fire, according to court documents.

Ibrahim further admitted to police that she treated the baby's burns with a homemade remedy. She reportedly mixed powdered acetominophen with cocoa butter, and applied the mixture to the child's skin twice a day, until she died. Ibrahim told police she used four extra-strength acetominophen capsules for each application.

An autopsy found the child's cause of death to be toxicity due to acute hepatic failure caused by acetominophen, following unexplained scald burns. The doctor who performed the autopsy ruled the baby's death a homicide, and said that she probably would have survived the burns with proper medical care.

Ibrahim, 27, faces two felony charges -- reckless injury to a child and injury to a child/serious bodily injury. Bail was set at $35,000 for each charge.

Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.