Shark isn't usually the go to fish to cook for dinner, but if you enjoy a fish that is firm and meaty, then it may be for you. Shark is very similar to swordfish, so if you have cooked with swordfish before, the principals are the same. Cook shark like a rare steak: Use high heat to sear the outside, and let it stay a little rare in the middle. Try cooking to about 5 minutes on one side, then 2-3 minutes on the other for an inch-thick steak. The uneven time gives you a great sear on one side (the side you serve facing up) while not overcooking the shark.
This same technique can be accomplished if you are searing in a sauté pan. Bottleneck restaurant group, which includes Howells & Hood, Sweetwater Tavern & Grille, The Boundary Tavern & Grille and Old Town Pour House is celebrating shark week by adding the fish to their menus. Executive Chef, Paul Katz prepares Jerk Spiced Shark, a dish that is available at all the restaurants through Sunday, August 11th.howellsandhood.com/shark-week-event-192.php
Jerk Spiced Shark: turban squash puree, sweet & sour mango nectarines, mint chimichurri
Available at all participating locations
- Shark Recipe:
- 6oz Shark
- 3oz Turban Squash Puree
- 2oz Sweet and Sour Mango Nectarines
- 1oz Mint Chimichurri
- Micro Greens Garnish
- 1T Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1oz Olive Oil
- 1) Season Shark with Jamaican spice.
- 2) In a heated sauté pan add olive oil and shark sear on both sides placing in oven to finish.
- 3) In center of plate add turban squash puree, lean fish against the puree, top with sweet and sour mango nectarines, drizzle mint chimichurri on top
- 4) Garnish with micro greens.
- Mint Chimichurri Recipe:
- 2 Cups Mint small chop
- 1 Cup Parsley small chop
- 1/3 Cups Cilantro small chop
- ½ Cups Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 T Garlic chopped
- 1oz Lime juice
- ¾ Cup Evo
- 1 T Shallots chopped
- 1 T Sambal oelek
2) Chop garlic and shallots add to mixing bowl.
3) Add all other ingredients except EVO and mix well.
4) Slowly add EVO whisking continuously.
5) Place in container with lid, label and date refrigerate for service
Makes about 2 cups
Needs to sit for at least 3 hours to incorporate flavors before use
Sweet and Sour Mango Nectarine Recipe:
- 6 ea Mango nectarine (cut into 1/8ths)
- .75 cup Water
- .75 cup White Wine
- .75 cup Sugar
- 1 ea Bay leaf
- 6 springs Thyme
2) Put nectarine into liquid and shut off and let steep for 30 min
3) Cool and store nectarines in poaching liquid
Turban Squash Puree:
- 1 Turban Squash cleaned
- 3.25oz Heavy Cream
- ½ Vanilla Bean
- 1 Tsp Orange Zest
- 1.5 T Unsalted Butter
- Pinch Kosher Salt
- Pinch White Pepper
- 1 oz Honey
2) In a medium size stock pot add water and squash bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
3) Strain, place back into pot
4) Over medium heat in a sauce pan add heavy cream, vanilla bean, orange zest, salt and white pepper simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Remove from heat and discard vanilla bean.
6) Pour mixture into pot with cooked squash, add butter and honey
7) Keep warm for service.
Grilled Shark with Summer Squash Ratatouille:
- 6 oz Shark
- 4 oz Summer Ratatouille
- 2 oz Pickled Ramp Gremolata
- 1 ea Over Easy Egg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
2) Season shark with salt and black pepper. Place shark on grill, cook for 4-5 minutes per side.
3) In the center of coup style bowl place hot smoked eggplant and charred squash ratatouille and top with grilled shark.
4) In a small skillet cook over easy egg and place on top of grilled shark. Top egg with Pickled Ramp Gremolata
Pickled Ramp Gremolata Recipe:
- 3 ea Pickled Ramp
- 2 bunch Parsley
- 2.5 cups Olive Oil
- .25 tsp Chili Flake
- 3ea Lemon Zest
- 3ea Lemon Juice
2) Combine all ingredients together in a blender.
Summer Ratatouille Recipe:
- 5 ea Eggplant (Peeled, 1in Dice)
- 2 ea Summer Zucchini (2 in)
- 2 ea Summer Squash (2in)
- ¼ cup Garlic ( Chopped) )
- ¼ cup Shallot (Finely chopped) )
- ¼ cup Red wine vinegar)
- ¼ cup Red Wine)
- 1.5 #10 cans Tomatoes (whole peeled, diced) (strain the liquid) )
- ¼ Qt Olive Oil )
- 3 springs Thyme)
- 5 leaves Basil)
- Salt And Pepper)
2) In same pan add the rest of the oil, garlic, and shallot cook till soft)
3) Deglaze With Vinegar and reduce)
4) Add the wine and cook until au sec)
5) Add the tomato juice reduce by half)
6) Add the sachet of thyme and basil, and the diced tomatoes)
7) Cook until the liquid has reduced by half)
8) Add in the eggplant, zucchini, squash, and cook until thick )
9) Check for seasoning, cool and reserve )
Shark Tacos Recipe:
- Shark 3 pieces 2 oz each
- 1 T Spice Rub
- 1.5oz Cole Slaw with Chipotle Lime Dressing
- 4 oz Smokey Pinto Beans
- 2 oz Jalapeno Puree
- 3 ea Lime Wedges
- 3 ea Corn Tortillas
- 9 slices Radish sliced very thin
2) Season each piece with spice rub.
3) In a hot sauté pan add oil and sear shark on both sides until cooked through, about 5 minutes
4) Heat 3 corn tortillas in coated sauté pan
5) Top each taco with fish, cole slaw and 3 slices of the radish.
6) Serve on a plate with Smokey pinto beans, jalapeno puree and lime wedges
Jalapeno Puree Recipe:
- 5 ea Jalapeno (seeded)
- 5 ea Jalapeno (whole)
- 5 ea Green pepper (seeded)
- 1 TBS Veggie stock powder
- ¼ cup Water
2) Puree the mix in a blender use just enough water to blend
3) Add the veggie powder
Smokey Pinto Beans Recipe:
- 5 lb Dried Pinto Boys
- 1 lb Onion Diced
- 1 oz Chopped Garlic
- ¼ lb Carrots
- ¼ cup Celery
- ½ T Black Peppercorn
- 2 springs Thyme
- 1 ea Bay Leaf
- 1 ea Dried Chipotle
- 1 T Toasted Ground Cumin
- .75 lb Slab Bacon Diced 1inby1in
- 2.25 gal Vegetable Stock
2) Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until onions are translucent
3) Add garlic cook for 1 minute
4) Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower temp and boil until beans are cooked about 1 hour.
Shark Infested Water: Vodka, Blue Curaçao, fresh lemon juice, topped w/ ginger beer, drizzled with grenadine and garnished with a souvenir shark
Available at all participating locations