Recipe for Colcannon
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 small head green cabbage (about 1 pound)
2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 small yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoons minced green onions
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
2. Place potatoes and cabbage in a large pot and cover with 1-inch of cold water.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Drain. Place potatoes and cabbage in a bowl and cover to keep warm.
5. In the same pot, melt butter over medium heat, add onions and sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add milk.
6. When the milk is hot, add the cooked cabbage, potatoes, green onions, salt, and pepper.
7. Using a potato masher, mash the mixture over low heat. When coarsely mashed, spoon onto a serving platter and serve. If the colcannon is too thick, add more milk.