Video captures moments before car splits in half in SW Side crash, critically injuring driver

ByEvelyn Holmes and ABC7 Chicago Digital Team WLS logo
Friday, June 23, 2023
Car splits in half in SW Side crash, critically injuring driver: VIDEO
Surveillance video shows the moments before a crash at 59th and Pulaski left a car split in half.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Not much is left of an SUV that was split two early Friday morning on Chicago's Southwest Side.

Investigators said a white Ford Mustang was traveling southbound at a high rate of speed when it crashed into a Toyota SUV that was trying to make a left turn at 59th and Pulaski at about 4:30 a.m.

"A lot of traffic goes through here really fast. Too many people are racing through here," said store manager Saad Abuila.

Surveillance video from a nearby business captured the crash. ABC7 froze it before the impact.

The crash left both cars mangled and crushed as they came to rest in the parking lot of a convenience store. A gas station worker said he heard the crash.

SEE ALSO | Chicago mother of 2 killed in Bolingbrook hit-and-run crash on I-55; grandmother breaks silence

The 50-year-old driver of the Toyota SUV was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. Police said the driver of the Mustang tried to run off after the collision. But, officers found him a few blocks away. He was also taken to the hospital.

Chopper 7HD shows captured what appeared to be an SUV, split in half, with debris scattered around the street. Parts of Pulaski had to be closed while crews cleared the scene.

Some residents said the neighborhood has had a problem with drag racing for a while. Chicago police have not identified that as a factor in the crash.

Meanwhile, 23rd Ward Alderwoman Silvana Tabares issued a statement, reading, in part, "From drag racing to reckless driving, we need to clamp down on the want-to-be stunt drivers who use our public streets as their personal racetracks. We are praying for the victim and his family and want this offender and all reckless drivers to fully be held accountable of the law."

So far, no charges have been filed or citations issued as authorities continue their investigation.