Efforts to thaw frozen pipes spark Aurora fire

AURORA, IL (WLS) -- An Aurora family accidentally set their home on fire while trying to thaw frozen pipes.

Firefighters say the family applied propane heaters and torches to the pipes in the basement.

Fire officials say the pipes run through the walls of the home so they allowed the flames to spread all the way up to the attic.

The family is now staying with relatives.

One firefighter suffered minor injuries when he slipped on ice.
Copyright © 2020 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.