SWAT officers respond to barricade at Midlothian liquor store after attempted robbery: officials

ByChristian Piekos and ABC7 Chicago Digital Team WLS logo
Thursday, November 23, 2023
SWAT team responds to Midlothian liquor store robbery
Police and SWAT officers were on the scene of a barricade situation at a liquor store in Midlothian Wednesday afternoon.

MIDLOTHIAN, Ill. (WLS) -- Police and SWAT officers were on the scene of a barricade situation at a liquor store in Midlothian Wednesday afternoon.

Midlothian police confirmed they are in the area near 147th Street and Springfield Avenue. The Harvey Police Department also assisted the situation, a city spokesperson told ABC7.

An attempted armed robbery led to a massive and lengthy standoff with police, without a shot being fired.

Chopper7 was over the scene and observed SWAT officers surrounding Emporium Liquor.

Three people attempted to rob the store just after 10 a.m., the spokesperson said.

Authorities gave an update on a Midlothian SWAT incident Wednesday.

Midlothian Police Chief Daniel Delaney said one of the suspects took off in a van and was ultimately arrested in Chicago.

The other two offenders remained inside the store with multiple hostages, police said at a press conference. The offenders then retreated to a cooler inside the store and police were able to quickly extract the hostages from the store.

"The people who were being held at gunpoint were being held at gunpoint as officers were arriving," Delaney said. "As soon as officers entered the store, the suspects entered the cooler area and the hostages got out safely."

Louis Hernandez is a barber who was working across the street when police rushed to the scene.

"I was pretty much in shock because I was like this is a good area," Hernandez said. "We locked our doors and I had to continue cutting, so I had my clients come to the back door."

Enrique Montes is a construction worker who was working right next to Emporium Liquor when the standoff began.

"All of a sudden it was like SWAT teams and snipers," Montes said. "It was impressive. I've never seen that before."

The suspects later surrendered to police and were taken into custody without incident, police said.

No injuries were reported, police said.

The ATF is also involved in the investigation. The agency is looking into whether the three suspects are involved in other armed robberies in Indiana.

No further information was immediately available and criminal charges are pending.