CHICAGO - Join "The Oprah Winfrey Show" as it tapes its Season 24 Kickoff Party on Michigan Avenue on Tuesday, September 8, 2009. A crowd of thousands is expected to join Oprah for a fun-filled, star-studded season kickoff celebration taping, which will include a special appearance by three-time Grammy Award-winning group The Black Eyed Peas.
Admission is free and open to all ages. Minors should be accompanied by an adult. Doors will open at 12:00 p.m. CDT on Tuesday, September 8 at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Ohio Street, and space is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Camping overnight will not be permitted. The taping will begin promptly at 5:00 p.m., rain or shine. Space is standing-room only for the approximately two-hour taping.
Attendees making a day of the production are encouraged to bring their own snacks and water. No food of any kind will be provided. Water stations will be available within the designated production area. There will be no seats provided or available for guests attending the show. No professional recording equipment is permitted.
- The City of Chicago anticipates closing Michigan Avenue between Wacker Drive and Ohio Street on Monday, September 7 at 12:01 a.m. for the taping of "The Oprah Winfrey Show." Expect the closure to remain in effect until Wednesday, September 9 at 5:00 a.m.
- Traffic is expected to be heavy in these areas. Traffic patterns may need to be adjusted periodically throughout the day.
- Pedestrian access along Michigan Avenue will remain open at all times, including access into all buildings along the Michigan Avenue corridor. CTA reroutes will be in effect. Customers may obtain travel information by visiting CTA's website at www.transitchicago.com, by calling 1-888-YOUR-CTA or the RTA Travel Information Center at 836-7000 from any local Chicago area code. Attendees are strongly encouraged to take public transportation to and from the show taping. Public parking options will be limited.
- Clark Street, Dearborn and Lake Shore Drive may be used as alternates.
- Lower Illinois Street, Ohio Street and Grand Avenue will remain open to traffic.
FOR GUESTS WITH DISABILITIES
The transportation pick up and drop off location for Paratransit vehicles and private vehicles transporting guests with disabilities will be located on the west side of Cityfront Plaza Drive between Illinois and North Water Streets (across from NBC Tower). Guests with disabilities will be escorted to designated ADA areas.
More information is available at www.oprah.com/party.