Firefighter hurt, 3 houses destroyed in Summit fire

August 18, 2011 3:19:14 PM PDT
A firefighter was hurt in a blaze that engulfed three homes early Thursday in southwest suburban Summit.

Two dozen people were displaced from their residences. Firefighters rescued two small children and their parents from a burning home.

No residents were hurt.

The firefighter suffered a minor concussion from falling debris. One family saw flames and scrambled to alert their neighbors.

"We ran downstairs and knocked on their door. They wouldn't answer. We threw rocks at their door. We called 911, went back upstairs and banged on their doors, and then the whole family finally ran out of the house," said Kelly Benson.

A Red Cross team was on site to provide emergency needs for those residents.

Summit fire officials believe the fire was started by an electrical problem and are calling it accidental.

Load Comments