Polish immigrants Jan and Grazyna Krynski do just that at their DOM itp (domitp.com) European housewares shops around town. They celebrate their love for Chicago with keepsakes featuring landmarks such as Millennium Park, Water Tower, Cellular and Wrigley Fields, and the Chicago Municipal Flag.
You can find their ornaments at the Christkindlmarket (chirstkindlmarket.com), which opens on November 23 at Daley Plaza.
Ornament designer Kasia McCormick joined us in our ABC7 studio to show us how to make our own holiday ornaments with a Chicago theme.
- Tips for Personalizing Chicago-Style Christmas Ornaments:
- Use glass ornaments, and paint to create your own Chicago-inspired designs featuring your favorite landmark and sports symbol.
- Draw, paint, or glue on your favorite sayings such as "Sweet Home Chicago" and "There's No Place Like Home."
- Use old artisan traditions like creating a mold to come up with your own favorite Chicago-themed shapes out of metal or paper mache.
- Use the center of clear glass ornaments to display your favorite Chicago mementos, including scenery photos, ticket stubs, buttons, and beads.
- Add a little whimsy to your tree by creating one-of-a-kind images out of glitter and glue, for example the Chicago flag symbol and Chicago-style food, such as hot dogs, Italian beefs, and deep-dish pizza.