I have been making this garnet-colored applesauce for years. When my kids were younger, I made large batches and served it as a healthy snack.
Yields 11/2 to 2 quarts applesauce
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
1. Place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
2. Cook uncovered over medium heat until the cranberries pop and the excess moisture evaporates. The applesauce may be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to one week or frozen for up to 2 months.